Here are our discussion questions:
1. The events of Legend take place over a hundred years in the future. What do you imagine the United States will be like a century from now? Do you think it could resemble the fractured country in Legend?
2. What do their relationships with Tess and Thomas mean to Day and June? Why do you think Day continues to travel with Tess? What did you think of Thomas when he was first introduced? Why did June trust Thomas?
3. After learning the truth about Day, why do you think the government treated him the way they did?
4. How did you feel about the romance between June and Day? Do you think there is too much romance in dystopian novels or does it work well with the genre?
5. Is there anything from Day’s memories of his childhood that hint at what John will ultimately do for his brother on the day of Day’s planned execution? Were you surprised by the ending
6. What would Legend have been like if only Day or June narrated the book? If you had to pick a character other than Day or June to narrate Legend, who would it be and why?
7. What role does the plague have in Legend? How is it symbolic?
8. Near the end of Legend we learn that Day’s pendant is an American quarterfrom 1990. Why is this coin symbolic? What other symbols appear in Legend?
9. What do you think the book’s title means? Who or what does “legend” refer to?
10. Legend is the first installment of a trilogy. What do you think is in store for Day and June in the next book in the series? If you have read Prodigy, did it live up to your expectations?